+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

80 Guests, 0 Users

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Exxis 2nd hand..no cam image  (Read 12331 times)

Slider2732

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Exxis 2nd hand..no cam image
« on: March 23, 2006, 03:43:05 PM »
Hi..

Hoping someone can help me with a system i bought today.

It's a B/W Exxis CCTV setup, comprising 17" monitor EO4174Q and 4 x ESC-1A camera's with microphones inbuilt.
Whole system was just $20 from a thrift store.
Yep, $20...and no connector cables, but i was a CCTV operator til i recently moved here to the USA from England and have electronics experience of 25 years. Decent project for home surveillance was the thought.

The monitor powers on, everything seems fine. Time and date etc are current and the whole setup is very clean indeed for a 1999 model.
I went to Radio Shack and bought an RJ11 6 wire extension. Plugged that into CA1 on the back of the monitor and the other end into the monitor socket on a cam. Nothing on the screen except "No Signal".
I tried the lead on all 4 cameras, in case the first was bust, and indeed into all 4 cam ports on the monitor, but nothing comes up on the screen.
The monitor makes a noise on cam plug in, which seems to demonstrate a signal for the audio..but no picture and indeed no further sound.

There's 2 RJ11 ports on the camera's..one says "Monitor", one says "Interphone". Connecting to interphone trips the monitor out, so it definitely doesn't go in that socket !

Beside the Radio Shack lead itself being faulty (which i'll continuity test in a minute), anyone have any ideas on how i can get a cam signal to display on the monitor screen ?

agidi

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re:Exxis 2nd hand..no cam image
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 06:46:01 PM »

ahh, you too need the pinouts for the Exxis then.  ;D

Slider2732

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 07:53:25 AM »
LOL, yes indeed agidi...how strange !

There appears to be no site for the company and little is mentioned online. The setup appears very well made and certainly no pile of rubbish...so it's surprising there's not more discussion on review sites etc.

A phone call may be the way forward about how to set things up, though i'd much rather someone of experience in the system step forward here.

Much case opening and checking went on last night...i managed to get the monitor to perform a cute feedback loop sound from the internal speaker, when connecting one camera to another, but that was all..and unwise!
The monitor staunchly displays 'No signal' on all 4 quarters of the screen area.
There's both speaker and mic on the monitor, with "Call Talk" being one of the buttons on the fascia.

Gleaned from online was this info -
"the pinout should be 1-5V, 2-TX+, 3-RX-, 4-RX+, 5-TX-, and 6-Grnd"

Hopefully that helps you agidi ??

My problem is more a case of 'why wont it work?' and i'm now wondering whether the "Interphone" jacks have to all at least dummy terminate!

CCTV in England didn't include sound with the town centre cameras, so i'm unfamiliar with requirements should a system deem that necessary. However, there's nowhere on the Exxis monitor to plug in the "Interphone" RJ11's in any case...so it must be a seperate unit they plug into ?

Slider2732

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »
Here's a product manual for a very similar CCTV system, that uses RJ11's for camera connections.

http://www.matrixnetworkinc.com/viewpro/TechNotes/PDFs/A-O14QCP2%20Color%20Quad.pdf

I'm thinking that even though my cable has 6 wires, there's something not allowing cam powering. Each ESC-1A camera is to be powered by 15V and draws 2 Watts, as written on the back.

Pinouts from the manual above are -
"CA1 CA4 Connections
Four cameras can be connected to the monitor using the modular RJ11 connections labeled CA1, CA2, CA3, and CA4.
The pinout of the modular camera connections is as follows:
Pin 1 ----------------------- Alarm / In
Pin 2 -------------------- +15Vdc Out
Pin 3 ---------- Intercom Audio Out
Pin 4 ------------------------- Video In
Pin 5 ------------ Intercom Audio In
Pin 6 -------------------------- Ground"

ummmm..help !

Slider2732

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 04:51:41 PM »
SOLUTION!  ;D

Using the above pinout i now have all 4 cams running, 2 also with audio !

Pins 2, 4 and 6 are.. +15V, Video and Ground
Pin 5 is for audio

I opened the chassis and soldered to the cams input pins directly, fitted 4 pin connectors on the outside (for the cams to plug into) and then soldered 4 wire RJ11 directly to the pins on the back of the cams. The lengths can be increased as desired in the future - main thing is that she runs !

Not for the feint hearted and only done cos this whole shebang cost just $20  from the thrift store !

geb2122

• View Profile
Re: Exxis 2nd hand..no cam image
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 08:09:42 AM »
Can you please help me with the solution you came up with. I am looking for a walk through to what was wrong and how exactly you did it. Thanks

doggie_bit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 07:56:32 AM »
i would like to know if this system would possibly be for sale i sure can use it thanks e mail me at doggie_bit@yahoo.com thanks

readyfreddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 08:24:43 PM »
I aquired one of these systems. Interphone jack DOES NOT  have to be connected. I have 4 working cameras esc-1 & monitor, only one good cable, regular phone cable DOES NOT work. hopng to find a working pinout config. not sure of monitor model but it has a dip switch (on front) labeled skip to turn off individual cameras so anyone having problems may check that first.