Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

74 Guests, 2 Users
murphy62,
utervireare

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: VISTA-20ADT lightning damage  (Read 2878 times)

Weatherman

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
VISTA-20ADT lightning damage
« on: March 22, 2006, 08:23:36 AM »
I have an unmonitored ADT Security Manager 2000 system, the central control unit is a SAVS20ADT-1 with a PWB marked VISTA-20ADT w/E2 MICR. I'm not sure of the keypad model but the number on the operators manual is N7527-6V3.

During a thunderstorm over the weekend the AC power dropped out momentarily due to a close lightning strike and immediately the fire alarm started going off. The display in both control panels went blank except for an occasional flash of unintelligible data and the system would not respond to keypad entries. I had to disconnect both the backup battery and the AC power in order to get it to shut off. The system was not armed when this happened. I thought leaving it disconnected for a while might reset it, but when I hooked the power back up after an hour or so it started going off again.

Do I have any options other than replace the system? I would rather not have to deal with ADT to get it fixed since it is not monitored anymore. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dennis  

Freddie

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re:VISTA-20ADT lightning damage
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 08:47:20 AM »
Hi Dennis........You can try to reset the programming back to factory values and reprogram it but I usually find the main unit at the very least will need to be replaced....

I have also had success as well but not very often......the damage may be done

I can't is a coward, I'll try is a soldier, I will is a king.

~ Anonymous~

Repairguy

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 11:15:34 AM »
Yep, odds are you will need a new control board.  After you get that in and programmed, you will need to test each and every device on the system to make sure the voltage stopped at the panel.  If it got into the circuit wiring, you may find welded shut contacts..

Usually, lightning voltage comes into the system thru the phone lines, contrary to what most people think.  If this is a non-monitored system, make sure you do not have the phones connected to the new panel.

You can use the Vista 15P or 20P as a direct replacement with the current panel, both of which are available here at the store.

tech1

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • making security simple Since 1994.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 12:32:58 PM »
along with what these guys said if you do need to replace it, you may want to add one of these to prevent this from happening again,

http://homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=1043

good luck........................tech1

Weatherman

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 01:47:07 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone. Before I order a new control panel, can anyone tell me if any or all of the ceiling mounted 360 degree motion sensors listed in the store are compatible with my system? I have a 360d sensor that doesn't work (and hasn't in a long time) so I might as well replace it too.

Thanks,
Dennis

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 09:04:32 PM »
Before I order a new control panel, can anyone tell me if any or all of the ceiling mounted 360 degree motion sensors listed in the store are compatible with my system?

With rare exception for specialty devices, hardwired protective devices are cross compatible with all hardwired devices.

One additional thing to add to what everyone else have said, in the event of an electrical spike, check the wiring for shorts.  

DaTech

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 05:04:36 AM »
YOu can easly tell if the panel is fried.  Feel the heat sink ( The black bar with the stickers on it).  If this is HOT not burning but HOT, your done.  
"A man who said it can't be done

Weatherman

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 10:12:41 AM »
I purchased a new Vista-20 Control Panel from the store. The installation manual gives instructions on programming it but not how to get into the programming mode. I'm using the existing keypad that ADT installed with the Security Manager 2000 system. Can you help me get started?
Thanks,
Dennis