+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

62 Guests, 0 Users

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Brinks security system question (low batt warning on keypad)  (Read 18313 times)

Telegan

• View Profile
Brinks security system question (low batt warning on keypad)
« on: October 16, 2010, 07:31:16 PM »
I have no experience with these things, but here goes : I have a Brinks security system in my home that is unmonitored.  It's been there since the house was built in 2004.  The model is BHS 3000c from what I can tell.  Recently the keypad has been showing a "LOW BATT" message and beeping every now and then.  From what I've read from Googling, there's a battery in the control panel/box that sits in my closet that my need replacing.  My questions :

1) There is one screw that seems to be holding the cover of the control box in place.  I'm guessing I'm not going to trigger anything by removing this cover, am I?  This may be a stupid question, but I'm ignorant about how these things work. lol.  See pic below.

2) If the issue is just a replacement battery is needed, is it as simple as taking the cover off and replacing a battery?  Is any soldering or splicing of wire necessary?  And do I need to turn power off to the unit before doing so?

3) There is a transformer/plug of some type plugged into a socket and a screw is going into the wall plate holding it in place.  The wires from the plug seem to go into the wall.  See picture below.  If I just don't want to deal with this Brinks unit, can I just unplug that thing from there and the whole unit be disabled?  Is this thing somehow going to phone home or will I get shot by Brinks for doing it?  Or is this going to set off some kind of alarm that I won't be able to turn off? =)

I haven't bothered calling Brinks because I'm pretty sure they won't give me any info since I don't have their service.  And I don't want to pay for them to fix something I don't even want in my house.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sorry the pics are "sideways" :

PIc # 1 : http://i56.tinypic.com/118j9lx.jpg (Wall plug)
PIC # 2 : http://i54.tinypic.com/313k3t0.jpg (control box)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:33:30 PM by Telegan »

Static

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Brinks security system question (low batt warning on keypad)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:05:02 PM »
1. It is possible that there is a tamper on the door of the can but I rarely ever see one and I've never seen one on a Brinks panel. Chances are about 99% that all you have to do is remove the screw.
2. Yes. The battery is the large square lump with one red and one black lead. There is no soldering involved, the leads just plug onto the tabs on the battery.
3. The transformer is the panel's main source of power, the battery is for backup. Remove both and the system will be completely dead and unable to contact anyone.
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.

lawtyger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 06:14:57 AM »
Telegan, we find ourselves in almost the exact same situation as you even from a time frame perspective. 

Our new house was built in March of 2004 and we’ve used our Brinks system effectively without monitoring until the last couple weeks when all of a sudden the low battery light came on the keypad and it continually beeps every 24 hours until you hit the cancel button (which just gives you another 24 hours until the next beep.

The only difference with us is we have a Brink BHS-3000B (not “c” like you have).

Were you finally able to resolve your problem by changing the battery yourself???  Where did you buy the replacement?

Until I saw your post and the pictures you included I thought the battery was actually in the keypad that was beeping.  But, it sounds like from your post and Static’s reply that the battery that needs to be replaced is in the big box (which I think it in my wife’s closet.

I did call Brinks directly and they had no record of us and said they could not help us and to call someone local.  I’m really hoping I can just change this battery myself.

Any tips or a status on how your replacement went would be greatly appreciated.  Advice from anyone would be welcomed too.

Zoned

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 09:34:06 AM »
If you don't have any wireless sensors, it almost certainly would be the battery inside the box. But if you have any wireless sensors, one of them may have a low battery.  

A family member had issues with Brinks and their wireless sensors, which required a service call and very expensive proprietary replacement batteries.  I just don't remember what kind of indication the keypad gave when a sensor battery went south.

Just wanted to give you a heads up, in case you do have wireless sensors.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:47:53 AM by Zoned »

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 12:08:31 PM »
If it only say's "Low Battery" it's the system battery. 
If it say's "Low Battery" and showing a "Number", it's a wireless battery for the sensor on that zone.

Telegan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 06:23:10 PM »
Just an FYI to anyone looking for a followup.  I did replace the battery in the control box.  As Static stated above, there's just a big battery with 2 leads that need to be pulled.  I just replaced it with a new battery and slid the leads back on the new one.  It was painless and took all of 30 seconds.

Thanks Static for leading me in the right direction and to lawtyger for corresponding with me over email.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 07:16:27 PM »
if you guys have unmonitored brinks panels, I'd recommend unplugging the panel phone cord from the phone jack so brinks can't call in and do a remote shutdown of the system.  you never know what they'll do if they get a low battery signal on an account that's no longer active.  but the remote shutdown seems to be the norm.

I've ripped a few of these things out, no panel lock, no tamper switch, and the zones were N/C with no resistor either at the panel or contact.  anyone with basic electrical skills could defeat one of these things.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

wmw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 06:38:59 AM »
I am looking for two replacement pads and control box if necessary  >:(for a Brinks system installed in 2005.  So far the only numbers I have off it are (Issue:NOAG 9238 and IC: 114010954a.  The thing beeps once a day and switches from beeping in the daytime to night.  thanks

mrg

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 10:41:05 AM »
Welcome to the forums wmv.  Please don't cross post and hijack existing threads - create your own in the relevant forum.  With that said, let's try address your issue now that your here.

First off, you need to let us know what Brinks panel you have (look inside the door of the metal panel box).  Secondly, if the keypad is beeping, you need to let us know any corresponding codes you see.

I assume that you don't have a monitoring agreement with Brinks?  If you do, you would be better off calling them for support.  If not, then likely the beeping is due to a communication error or low battery.

FWIW, those panels cannot be configured by end users.  I replaced a Brinks BHS-2000 with a Ademco Vista 20P for that reason.  I still have an old keypad lying around so you can PM if you want it.

wmw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 01:28:03 PM »
Welcome to the forums wmv.  Please don't cross post and hijack existing threads - create your own in the relevant forum.  With that said, let's try address your issue now that your here.

First off, you need to let us know what Brinks panel you have (look inside the door of the metal panel box).  Secondly, if the keypad is beeping, you need to let us know any corresponding codes you see.

I assume that you don't have a monitoring agreement with Brinks?  If you do, you would be better off calling them for support.  If not, then likely the beeping is due to a communication error or low battery.

FWIW, those panels cannot be configured by end users.  I replaced a Brinks BHS-2000 with a Ademco Vista 20P for that reason.  I still have an old keypad lying around so you can PM if you want it.

Thanks for the help.  I will get more info.