+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

71 Guests, 0 Users

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: First Alert FA142C worth keeping?  (Read 3919 times)

nu2alarms

• View Profile
First Alert FA142C worth keeping?
« on: September 26, 2010, 03:37:33 PM »
New to alarm systems. Moved into house that has First Alert FA142C installed.  It was unplugged.  Plugged AC charger back and it flashed lo battery.I left it plugged in for awhile and lo batt message never went away.  When I unplugged AC charger the controller display immediately went out.  I called company that had installed and used to monitor it and they said it would be $199 to reactivate it.  Is it worth it to reactivate it? It is set up with 10 door/window sensors (Ademco 5816), 1 controller (Ademco N6119V1),  CO detector and smoke alarm.  I was interested in expanding the system with at least more door/window sensors but from what I have been able to find I would need a alpha-numeric controller (FA550KP).

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Re: First Alert FA142C worth keeping?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 06:07:49 PM »
A 142C, I think, is something near the ballpark of an Ademco Vista 10SE or 4110XM, it's a basic 6-zone panel.  

The old alarm company who installed it does  not need to monitor it.  A battery can be had for about $20 at any local battery distributor.  The "bat" symbol on the keypad may not disappear for a few hours to a day once the new battery is installed, but you can cheat by powering the unit down, and plugging it back in, and connecting the new battery right away before the system does a battery test.

Any local company can monitor that system, or it can be programmed to not be monitored.  These alarm systems cannot communicate with cell phones (just saying, in case you were wondering).  Here's something to try:  unplug the phone cord in or near the panel, power the unit down from AC and battery, wait a minute or so, and plug the transformer back in.  Within 30 seconds or so, go to a keypad and press * and # at the same time.  It should go to "no AC" and show 20 on the display.  Press #20.  It will read back four digits, one digit at a time.  that four digit number is the master code for the system.  I -think- on this series panel (I know it's this way on a 145C) the master code is sort of the same as the installers code, in that it can be used to arm, disarm as a regular user code and access system programming.  press *99 to exit programming.  I'm not sure if you can do basic zone programming on this system with the standard 6128/6137 keypads that were commonly used on these systems.  might be able to.  you have 6 zones to work with, zone 5 is probably your fire zone.  If you want a system that can be expanded beyond that, a Vista 20P would fit right in the panel enclosure you have and would be compatible with everything.

If you want to upgrade the keypad(s), the recent models that would work are the Ademco 6150 and the First Alert FA270KP, both are basic fixed-word keypads, and the Ademco 6160 which can be programmed to display custom words ("Fault 02 Front Door").
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 06:17:16 PM by dboyle »
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

murphy62

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 06:18:54 PM »
Depending on how old it is you could need new batteries in all of the 5816s.
Since the main battery was dead it is very likely that all of the batteries are dead.

Static

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 07:08:54 PM »
If you have 5816s then the panel is not a 4110 or equivalent as those only supported 5700 series transmitters. I'm betting on the 142 being a V10 variant.
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.

nu2alarms

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 02:44:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I was concerned that it was too old to consider fixing, although not specifically stated it sounds like it is worth keeping and fixing.  What other types of sensors can be hooked up to the system? motion sensors? glass break? key fobs?

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 03:52:40 AM »
All of the above.  Take a look at the forum's sponsor site www.homesecuritystore.com and take a look at the Ademco products.  Most if not all of those should work with your system.

On the V10SEs, you can only have one fire zone, which you already have.  Trying to program another zone for fire will cause the panel to act screwy.  The same probably applies to your panel, too.

Static

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 06:41:38 PM »
Yup. Yup. Yup.

nu2alarms

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »
Finally got around to getting the batteries and trying to get it working! Used procedure from dboyle to get master code (worked well -thanks).  

Then started to try to learn about the system.  All of the sensors appear to be connected to zone 1 (Teminals 8 & 9) in the panel.   However, I got alarms for Zones 10, 11, and 12.  I figured out that one of the 5816s was zone 12. I was able to quiet the alarm by using Stop sequence.  I started getting a "check 10 zone 10" message that I could not stop.  When I used the stop sequence the beeping would stop, but the system would not go into standby.  It was also continued trying to call monitoring alarm agency.  Instructions I downloaded say that if the display will not clear to notify the alarm agency.  I assume I can clear this by powering down again?  What did I do wrong?  

If there are only 6 zones, why was it giving me faults for zone 10, 11 and 12?  

How do I figure out what the different zones are?  If I take out battery will it give me a zone fault for that zone?

Is there a trick to removing the cover of the 5816s without damaging them?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 03:58:16 PM by nu2alarms »

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 04:41:44 PM »
If you look on the bottom of the 5816, you'll see a little push tab.  Push that in, and the cover will come off.  To remove it from the mounting plate, look inside the 5816, you'll see a tab inside there, push that in and slide the unit off the plate.

The 5816s are tampered.  If the cover is not on them, it will go into a "check" condition.  Sometimes to get the tamper condition to restore after replacing the cover, you must fault and restore the reed contact with the magnet.  You could check each one individually, or if you know the zone programming in the *56 mode, you can get the serial number for the zone and check that against the serial number on the transmitter.

When it says "6 zones" it means there are 6 hardwired zones.  Wireless zones are expansion beyond that.

mrg

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 06:31:44 PM »
If you haven't already got the manuals, here are some links you should use and print out for reference:

http://www.ibsalbany.com/Burglar%20Alarms/INSTALLERS/VISTA10SEii.pdf
http://www.diyalarms.net/files/I5816.pdf

Wireless zones should start on zone 10 and higher.  Inside the 5816 is a serial number label which is used to program it into the panel (if not auto enrolling them).

If you want monitoring you can try NextAlarm or Alarm Relay and they're around $10/month.

bmf0354

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 07:55:12 AM »
I too inherited a FA142C system with a recent home purchase.  It was previously monitored, but is no longer.  While doing some testing of the system I see 'FC' on my keypad - this is a communications failure to the monitoring service.  How can I turn this off?  I don't want the system to attempt to contact the monitoring service since it isn't monitored anymore!

Thanks.

Static

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 02:54:50 PM »
Get into programming and delete the receiver phone numbers in fields 41 and 42.

nu2alarms

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 05:42:21 PM »
Can the system be programmed with the Ademco 6160 keypad? The FA142C manual says that it can only be programmed with the FA550KP

Can the Vista20P panel be ordered without the enclosure?

Can Vista20P panel and 6160 keypad be ordered together?

Static

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 11:49:12 PM »
Can the system be programmed with the Ademco 6160 keypad? The FA142C manual says that it can only be programmed with the FA550KP
I won't attest to the specific FA model numbers as my memory is a little foggy on them. However, the facts are these:
1. Older FA panels were only compatible with FA keypads. Newer FA/Ademco panels can use any keypads. Personally, I think your 142C would fall into the older category but I would prefer for someone more familiar with FA to advise.
2. Virtually all the settings/options on any FA/Ademco panel can be programmed with any compatible keypad. Zone programming on both though is an interactive menu and you must have an appropriate alpha keypad.

nu2alarms

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 07:16:37 AM »
How difficult would it be to change out the FA142 module for a Vista20 module?  I assume that all the programming is lost and would have to be redone.