+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

93 Guests, 0 Users

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: NX-587E or NX-584  (Read 4675 times)

RonX

• View Profile
NX-587E or NX-584
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:42:31 AM »
Hello all,

I'm planning to write a driver for a home automation system of a GE NX series alarm panel, and I'm deciding before purchasing a serial interface which one to buy; there are two serial interfaces available, the most known is the NX-584 (the same that the NX8-E panel has), and the NX-587E (virtual keypad) (http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/GESDownload?ID=700&DID=700&documenttype=User+Manual). I see that the NX-587E protocol it's very simple compared to the NX-584,  does anyone know what could be the limitations and advantages of using either one? The DL900 I know could be used with the NX-584, but anyone know if it could be used with the NX-587E to program the panel?

Thank you

fostiras

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • SMS controllable thermostat
Re: NX-587E or NX-584
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 02:07:06 PM »
Hi RonX and welcome to our forum,
never heard of the NX-587E until now and from you. Looks like an NX-bus to RS232 interface (just like the NX-584, NX-586) but with higher level messaging in plain English.

I don't think DL900 can communicate through the 587 with a panel. Maybe a newer version of DL900 could "speak" in both formats.

I just saw it on my distributor's site. It's around 44 Euros. Maybe I'll give it a try and post my results but not before the end of June.

Thanks for the info

Regards
george
George Karavasilis

Industrial Automation
Thessaloniki - Greece

easyhomeplus.gr/default.asp?LangId=46

h2oskr

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 04:16:19 PM »
Hi RonX,

I only have in-depth experience with the NX584. The 584 provides access to most of the capabilities of the NXn device, but I do not know what the 587 limits are. I'm looking forward to George's 'review'  :)

From the little I do know about the 587...
The 584 will require more up-front work to communicate with the device. There is a protocol framework that you need in order to send and receive any message. With that in place its easy to add the various message types that you want to use.  The 587 is 'just' a keypad emulator so you can do simple things fairly easily. I think this starts out easy but gets more complicated as you try to do more functions.

The requirements of what you want to control and how much status you want to have in the automation system are probably the biggest factor in deciding which device. If you are looking to provide a simple virtual keypad in the automation system where a user can do some common things like Arm and Disarm, the 587 seems like a simpler approach. If you want to control large configurations (lots of zones, perhaps multiple partitions), provide detailed 'real time' status info, control user settings, etc. then I think the 584 is better path.

Another consideration... The 587 'protocol' is provided in the documentation of the device and keypad.  The 584 protocol document is not given out by GE except to development partners. There is a version of it floating around on the web thatís not too hard to locate. It describes the protocol but is not a how-to guide.

HTH,
Dave

fostiras

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 11:01:23 PM »
I agree with Dave 100%.
587 mostly deals with ASCII character strings; it talks in English like C or Basic language.
584 has both Binary and ASCII formats but talks with numbers like in Assembly language.

Also consider that there is probably no automation controller or software compatible to the 587 out there right now (maybe not even DL900 talks 587 as posted). You have to write your own software application. If you are planning to develop a hardware application then you have to go with the 584 route.

My distributor will have the 587 in stock in a couple of weeks.
Dave , everything fine ?    :D

george
George Karavasilis

Industrial Automation
Thessaloniki - Greece

h2oskr

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:30:04 AM »
Hi George,

I'm doing well, thanks. My 'NX584' SW has been running well for a while so I haven't been paying as much attention to security as I was before.

I hope all is well with you, too!

Dave

fostiras

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 10:33:15 AM »
 ;)
George Karavasilis

Industrial Automation
Thessaloniki - Greece

RonX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 11:15:53 AM »
I've read in some Crestron forum, that the NX-587E had some issues with the LCD readout of the characters displayed, and it's only limited to a single partition (I have one anyways), but in the some control 4 forum, they said that the NX-587E allows bypassing individual zones and the NX-584 don't. Is this true?

The home automation systems that support right now the NX-587E it's Crestron, Control 4 and Xlobby, and there are many more that support NX-584 like CQC, Homeseer, HomeLogic, MisterHouse, etc.

Well, if the NX-584 allows me to do the same or more that the NX-587E, (only need to confirm the zone bypass), I think I will go for the NX-584 route.

thank you for your help

h2oskr

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 12:04:08 PM »
The 584 DOES allow bypassing individual zones. The 584 provides access to most, if not all, of the Nxn capabilities.

Just curious... What kind of automation environment are you developing this for?

Dave

RonX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 12:12:37 PM »
I'm planning to write a driver for mControl (http://www.embeddedautomation.com/EAHAmControl.htm)

h2oskr

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 03:46:34 PM »
Good luck in with the project! Its been a while since I did my 584 driver, but I willing to share my learnings.

Dave

fostiras

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 12:19:07 AM »
The NX-584 CAN DO EVERYTHING the NX-586E interface can do.
It can control ALL functions of the panel.
It can program ALL functions of the panel.
It can get the WHOLE status of the panel.
It can poll for status or create interrupts to your application.

This applies to ALL panels up to the NX-8E (192 zones, 8 partitions etc.)

The 584 has filters which can include or exclude specific messages for security and / or bandwith reasons.

The only difference to the 586 interface is that the 584 needs to be prepared through keypad or through 586 in order to work - by default even the serial port is disabled.

Good luck with your project !   ;)

george
George Karavasilis

Industrial Automation
Thessaloniki - Greece