+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

55 Guests, 0 Users

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Replacing Brinks BHS-4000A with Ademco Vista 20P  (Read 10544 times)

HandyGirl

• View Profile
Replacing Brinks BHS-4000A with Ademco Vista 20P
« on: August 31, 2009, 05:22:42 AM »
Hello,
After trying a million ways to use the pre-wired Brinks system that is in my house, I've resigned myself to having to replace the entire unit in order to avoid being held hostage for three years and forever by Brinks.  After consulting with a helpful security guy and searching a board or two, it looks like my best bet is to go with the Ademco/Honeywell Vista 20P.  I found the following discussion which is similar to my situation except I'm switching out the bhs-4000a instead of the bhs-3000a (http://www.diysecurityforum.com/index.php?topic=6384.0).  Does everything still apply?  I'm going to restate the post with my personal specs which will be in bold:      
~~~~~~~~~~~
I recently moved into a house that has a hardwired Brinks security system.  The installed system includes: 1 BHS-4000A control panel, 26 wired window contacts, 6 wired door contacts, 2 keypads with LCD screens, 1 smoke detector, 1 heat detector and 1 siren.  The keypad on the brinks keyboard also says motion detector but I don't know if that's hooked up or not.    

The system was completely installed except for 4 wires which I hooked up.  There are three screws that have no wires.  I've read that I need to "close these out" with the little wire things.  The display on the keypad currently states that areas 5 and 6 are not ready and I'm wondering if that's because I don't have those closed off as of yet.  It appears that everything is working but I haven't been able to test the system for obvious reasons (I would have to have Brinks do it).  I plan to do as the previous gentleman has done and install the new motherboard, leaving the old one hanging and replacing one wire at a time.  I've read that I will have to replace the siren which I hope is that little vented white box in my living room which does not look exactly like the one in the user manual.  

I would like to replace the Brinks system with an Ademco Vista-20P system in order to be able to take advantage of less expensive monitoring services and be able to add some wireless devices.  I am a newbie when it comes to installing security systems and am going to install the new system myself.  I would appreciate some general advice in this regard and some help with the following questions.

1. Can the existing wiring for the Brinks system be used for the Ademco keypads?
2. How do I determine which locations the existing contact wires go to?
3. Can the existing transformer be used to power the Ademco box?
4. Is the programming manual reasonably understandable?
5. Are there any specific “gotchas” that I should be aware of in this type of situation?
6. Are the tech support people at the HomeSecurity Store able to provide assistance for this type of endeavor?
7. Do I need to replace both keypads with the 6160?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 07:21:07 AM by HandyGirl »

willbill808

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing Brinks BHS-4000A with Ademco Vista 20P
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:16:38 AM »
All your zones are fine the way they are- both the Vista 20P and the BHS-4000A have 8 onboard zones. Unless you have hardwired expanders, in which case, you will actually need to purchase 1 or more of the Ademco equivalent, the 4219.

As for the keypads and anything else that connects to the keybus, replace them with Ademco parts. Nothing Brinks works with Ademco, and vice versa.

Check Terminal numbers 4 and 6 on your main board. Terminal 4 is a general 12VDC "Bell" output for self contained sirens, bells, horns, strobes, etc. Terminal 6 is a "Special Purpose" alarm output terminal, which plays a 12V siren tone during alarm and is NOT DC. This output only works with speakers. If anything is attached to Terminal 6, you need a separate siren driver for your existing speakers to work with the 20P.

The existing transformer is completely usable with the 20P.

As far as programming goes, an Ademco is pretty easy to understand. As long as you read the manual, you should be fine.

Hope the "rebellion against Brinks" goes well-
Will
Semi-serious DIY'er- installing a security and fire system. Also learning about related fields.

HandyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:32:45 AM »
Thanks Will for your response!  I will definitely check 4 and 6.  I think 6 is one of the slots that I wired.  It seemed like the obvious slot for the line but I'll make sure if I can.  I might have a siren hooked to it.  My diagram says that's what is suppose to be there.  Will I need to switch out the siren?  I've heard that I will (I'm thinking that yes--"anything that connects to the keybus"  ;))  The actual siren is in the living room.  It's the standard squarish vented white box that is pictured on Brinks' website.  There's a larger rectangle white box above it that I can't figure out what it is.  I tried to attach a picture but alas.  Any guesses of what it is that I can look up and see if it matches?  I'm assuming that I will have to replace that too.  I thought it might be a motion sensor but it doesn't look like any of the pictures I have seen.   

Last question:  Is there a way to hook up a wireless keypad that I can use for upstairs?  Both keypads I have are downstairs.  Thanks so much!!!!!

willbill808

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:55:35 AM »
Anything that connects to the keybus simply means zone expanders, relay modules, keypads and anything else that takes an address. A siren doesnt have any intelligence in it, and so does not connect to the keybus. The reason you have to do something about the siren is because standard speakers will not operate on standard DC bell power like the Vista puts out, therefore a siren driver needs to be placed in between that bell output and your existing speaker loop, OR you can just replace the speakers with self contained sirens. It sounds like you have the equivalent of an Ademco 746 indoor speaker, and it would need to be replaced with an Ademco 747 to function without a driver. Its complicated..  :-\ but I can post diagrams if it would help.

I dont know what the larger box is above the siren... Its possible it could be a motion, but it could also be a wireless receiver by the sound of it. Does your system currently have wireless capabilities?

For a wireless keypad- the 5839 looks like what you are looking for.

If need be, I can also post links to part manuals. guardianalarms.net has a metric TON of Ademco manuals free to download.
Semi-serious DIY'er- installing a security and fire system. Also learning about related fields.

KSSPA

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 03:10:31 PM »
  There's a larger rectangle white box above it that I can't figure out what it is.  I tried to attach a picture but alas.  Any guesses of what it is that I can look up and see if it matches? 

Your doorbell?

esl

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 03:14:10 PM »
LOL, that was my first thought- door bell.
I do not claim to be an expert. Always verify information with a professional.

willbill808

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 03:50:34 PM »
HAHA. now why didn't I think of that?

Wow... now I feel stupid.  :D

KSSPA

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 05:00:51 PM »
I only mentioned it because I can't tell you how many times I have installed a system and had the customer point to the existing doorbell and ask me, "what is that sensor for"   ;D

HandyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 04:25:47 PM »
Well, now don't I feel like a dingaling...pardon the pun  ;)  Don't be too hard on we civilians.  All nondescript white boxes look the same.  My son will enjoy helping me test to see if that is indeed the doorbell.  :D 

Thanks so much for your help!