+-


Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

64 Guests, 0 Users

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews




Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Transformer turned brown and hot to touch  (Read 7891 times)

mballou11

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Transformer turned brown and hot to touch
« on: December 31, 2008, 07:57:01 AM »
I just found this forum.  Lots of good information here.

I've had my Ademco system for about 7 years now.  The transformer has always been warmer than I thought normal, and the front cover has a large dark brown spot now.  The transformer was originally light brown.  The spot has actually been there for a few years.

I just recently thought about it because the system battery is dying, and the alarm decided to beep to let me know a couple times in the middle of every night.  Not a pleasant thing to wake up in the middle of the night to a beeping alarm system.

First, is it normal for the transformer to be hot and turn color?

Second, is there a way to make the battery check not beep at night for a couple days while I get a new battery?  I don't mind unplugging the system temporarily if that's what it takes, as long as I won't lose the settings.

Thanks everyone.

DaTech

  • Security Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 358
  • Karma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Transformer turned brown and hot to touch
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 08:14:07 AM »
Hot is not good, warn to the touch is normal.   7 years for one battery is pretty good.  If the battery is beeping low that means your AC power is gone and your panel is running on the battery.  From the sounds of it you are having a intermittent AC power issue.  I would look at a battery and a new transformer.

If the panel loses all power it will save any settings in it,  Just replace the transformer and battery and when the system re powered up give it a minute to boot up and you will be good to go.
"A man who said it can't be done

moemoe

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Transformer turned brown and hot to touch
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 09:26:58 AM »
Have had my system up for 20 years wall wart power supply is warm to touch and has not changed color due to heat.Take a volt mere and check the battery.I replace my battery every 3 years and have had no problems with the charging system.

murphy62

  • Security Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 1561
  • Karma: +20/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Transformer turned brown and hot to touch
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 09:40:38 AM »
7 years is way too long for a battery.  Most likely the battery started drawing higher and higher charge current which overloaded the transformer causing it to heat up.  I would remove the battery immediately and then use a voltmeter to measure the voltage on the battery leads in both the DC and the AC position of the meter.  The DC voltage should be around 13 to 15 volts.  The AC voltage should be 0.  If you get an AC voltage, it means the rectifier / battery charging circuit has failed.

mballou11

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Transformer turned brown and hot to touch
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 06:41:33 PM »
Thanks for the information everyone.  I kinda suspected what murphy62 said.  I removed the battery and when I measured it, it's only 11.2 volt DC, and 24 volt AC.

When I removed the transformer from the wall plug, the socket is a little grayish as well, so definitely stressed it.  Luckily nothing worse happened. 

Should I replace the battery and transformer with identical versions?
Battery is : Tech Power 1240. (12V4AH/20HR)
Cycle use: 14.5-15 V
Standby use: 13.5-13.8
Initial current: less than 1.2A

Transformer: Pittway, 120V 60Hz .30A
SEC 16.5VAC 25VA

Magnum Alert

  • Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • *****
  • Posts: 3022
  • Karma: +177/-0
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Re: Transformer turned brown and hot to touch
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 05:54:46 AM »
24 VAC seems a bit high for an Ademco system, unless you have an unusually large commercial panel.  The diagram inside the cover of the system will specify which transformer is to be used.  Normally, they're 16 VAC, 20 to 40 VA.

For the battery, yes, what you have is a standard-size battery for a security system, and one can be had for about $20.  For an extra few dollars, it never hurts to go with the next size up, a 7-AH battery, which will give you some extra runtime during a power failure, and a little extra alarm sounder power.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

MrRonFL

  • Security Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 1155
  • Karma: +91/-1
  • NICET III #121766
    • View Profile
Re: Transformer turned brown and hot to touch
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 08:14:20 AM »
Also, consider replacing your wall outlet, itself.  When things like transformers stay plugged in for years at a shot, the outlet contacts spread out and get loose and sloppy.  Often this sloppy connection generates some heat in and of itself and can make the transformer run a bit hot.
The Truth of Thermodynamics:
You can't win; you cant' break even; and you can't get out of the Game.

mballou11

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Transformer turned brown and hot to touch
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 02:07:33 PM »
Thanks for the information everyone.  I placed my order for the battery and transformer.

Happy New Year

 

Powered by EzPortal