+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

72 Guests, 0 Users

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Viewing IP cameras remotely over the internet?  (Read 11124 times)

fastercharts

• View Profile
Viewing IP cameras remotely over the internet?
« on: May 09, 2008, 10:35:31 PM »
 ??? I recently purchased the  VC-CA-IP1000 - WiFi Enabled MPEG-4 IP Camera from the home security store.  It installs onto the home network fine but when attempting to view the camera from a computer away from home, I can't see the video.  I am port forwarding the IP camera and I am able to log into the camera's built in server from "abroad" but I am unable to see the video? Does anyone else have this camera and if so, do you know how to view the video feed remotely when not at home?  I know this has to be possible but it is driving me crazy!  I have one more week of maternity leave and I really want to see the baby while at work!  Oh, I am connecting the camera to my Linksys WRT54G router via Ethernet cable.  Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could go about watching my camera from work without having to install any software on the work computer.  I thought I was going to be able to do it with this camera but maybe not?  Any other camera suggestions to accomplish my goal?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 10:39:06 PM by fastercharts »

fastercharts

• View Profile
Re: Viewing IP cameras remotely over the internet?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 07:12:03 AM »
Even with installing the active X components and using IE it's not working.  I think the hospital where I work will block the active X components so I'm probably out of luck anyway. I wish there was a better solution, similar to WiLife, but better.

fastercharts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 06:56:21 PM »
Well, honestly I've never tried/had time to log on to any of those sites.  Judging from your login name I gather you are a physician as well. (I'm an ER doc with very little free time. As if any doctor has any free time!) I'm usually too busy to do anything but see patients and chart!  I work at a government hospital that has such restrictive access that I doubt very seriously I'll be able to do what I want to do.  I was able to access the camera's server from work, so that's a plus. Interesting enough, I took my laptop to a local coffee shop today and was able to view the feed from there using the software installed on my computer that came with the camera, Camview.  What I was thinking I would try is to install the program on a thumbdrive and run it from there, thereby circumventing installation of the program on a workstation at the hospital.  I'm sure it will still ask to install the active X component when I attempt to run it from the thumbdrive, but we'll see.  Can you think of any other ingenious work arounds?

Virtual Monitoring

• Security Guru
  • ANY panel - ANY camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 05:17:09 AM »
MmmDee is right - snapshots are your best option if you cannot install Active X on Internet Explorer.

To see this in action, you can log into our Virtual Monitoring Platform and take snapshots from any one of several IP cameras of different brands....

www.ipalarms.net/login.aspx

ID:1
Password:demo

If your camera supports snapshots, you could easily obtain one by typing your particular URL into the URL bar of a browser. Here is a little article I wrote that may be of interest....

http://ipcommunications.tmcnet.com/hot-topics/advanced-signaling-solutions/articles/18746-alarm-installers-guide-ip-signaling-part-2.htm

Best of luck  ;)

Paul Williams

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 02:54:29 PM »
ip camera sending data to email, i didn't knew it, very good tip indeed tanks

losspreventioninc

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 04:39:01 AM »
I am a little confused as a dealer installer I would think snap shots are not the reason you install IP cameras. As a dealer in western Pa we have had great success with many 4 channel dvr 's with Internet access installed in a residential environment. The internet has polluted the profeesion with "DIY" systems and in the past 12 months we have 4 calls per month with similar issues.

Virtual Monitoring

• Security Guru
  • ANY panel - ANY camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 04:48:17 AM »
Snapshots may be better than you think. Centrals that use our server software can set it to take any number of snapshots at a programmable interval. So, if you want 5 snapshots per second for twenty seconds, then as long as the camera and client side bandwidth can handle it, then that is what is sent to the server.

Of course, if you want to spend an extra $100 or so on a camera that supports software triggers and real time video, then that is also possible.

In summary:

Low cost IP Camera = snapshots

Full featured IP Camera = video clips

Ponce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 06:20:48 AM »
I also purchased the VC-CA-IP1000.  It is working fine in my home network but I can’t even log into the camera's built in server from any computer away from home.  The IP address works in my home network but when I am away the message I get on the browser is “the server can’t be found.  Any suggestions?

Tube Tech

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 09:36:33 AM »
I purchased the VC-CA-IP1000. It is working fine in my home network but I can’t even log into the camera's built in server from any computer away from home. The IP address works in my home network but when I am away the message I get on the browser is “the server can’t be found. Any suggestions?

I would be willing to bet a nickel your internal IP addresses are in one of these ranges:

Reserved IP addresses for private networks
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

These are non-routable IP addresses. They work inside a network but will not cross a router. This concept is called NAT, Network Address Translation. Bottom line: Everyone and their dog is using these addresses in their networks. You can have 254 IP addresses within your network, and only one that all traffic in and out of the network goes through.

You don't say what brand of router you use, and setting up specific models of router is an issue for another forum. In general terms:

Your ISP has a range of IP addresses, and a bank of routers. When you connect, your ISP attaches one of its IPs to the internet side of their router, and assigns an IP from one of the ranges above to the ISP side of your router. Your network has a range of user IPs, probably in one of the groups above. Your router has a firewall. The internet can't see through your firewall and can't access the non-routable IPs. There are two ways around this:

1) You can set up a DMZ on your router. A DMZ is a computer that resides on your network, on the outside of your firewall. The internet can see the IP of this one exposed computer; the rest of your network is firewalled. With a typical router, there will be one DMZ IP available.

2) You can use Port Forwarding. This allows you to expose a block of IPs to the internet. If you have more than one network DVR this may be the way to access them remotely.

These solutions depend on a certain courtesy from your ISP. Your ISP can choose to pass on or block NAT IP requests from the outside world to your router. If your home network has a DSL or cable connection they probably do this; online games require this. If you have a paid wireless connection, your ISP probably provides this service. If you get wireless free through a hotspot it is very unlikely that they will pass on NAT IP requests from their side. You should be able to access your DVR from Starbucks, but if you try to connect the DVR through Starbucks; no joy.

A third concept worth noting, while we are on the subject: DDNS. Dynamic Domain Naming System. Your IP address from your ISP is assigned when you connect; it may be different the next time you connect. This makes it impossible to find you through the internet. DDNS solves this problem by giving your internet users a fixed IP to deal with; the IP of your DDNS provider. You register with a DDNS provider. Your network messages your account with the DDNS provider, telling it the path the message takes from your DVR to the DDNS provider. When an internet user accesses your DDNS account, his computer is directed to the DDNS provider. The DDNS provider relays the connection through the path messaged by your server ( DVRs and routers are servers )

So:

1) Sign up with a DDNS provider, get an account.
http://www.dyndns.org will give you 5 free accounts. There are many domain names available; there is a category specifically for DVRs: ( DVRname ).DVRDNS.ORG

2) Set up a DMZ or Port Forwarding on your router, as you see fit.

3) Update your DDNS account with your current information. DYNDNS provides software that updates your account every ten days. Many DDNS providers will give you the bums rush if you update too often, so think of this as a subtle hint.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 09:42:45 AM by Tube Tech »

Ponce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 09:29:31 AM »
Thanks for the tips.
I am using a Linksys router, model: WRT54GS.
I have been trying to configure the port forwarding using the step-by-step info from the Lynksys website.
( http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/search?submitted=true&q=port+forwarding)

But I am still having the same problem.

Here is what I did:

Once in the setting page of the router:
Application: I give it a name
Port Range: Start: 80  End:80  Protocol: Both (TCP/UDP)
IP Address:  given.given.given.___ ( I filled the blank according to the IP address assigned)
Then I check Enable box and click on save setting.  It says Setting is Successful.

In Port Range I used 80 because that is what is on the IP camera setting page.

What am I missing?
 ???

murphy62

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 10:10:07 AM »
Most ISPs will not let you run a server on port 80 on a residential account.  See if you can configure your camera to use a port between 1024 and 65535.

Alternately, if your router supports it, pick a port between 1024 and 65535.
Configure the router to send data received on the port that you picked to port 80 at the IP address of the camera.
From your remote location append :pppp to the end of the URL that you use to access the camera where pppp is the port number that you selected.  Not all routers have this capability.

Tube Tech

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 10:44:54 AM »
What am I missing?

Many things:
An explanation of your problem;
A description of the techniques you have used to solve your problem;
The fact that this is a CCTV forum and you are asking a network connectivity question.

What you need to accomplish:
1) The DVR must be accessible from outside the firewall. ( DMZ or Port Forwarding )
2) The DVR must be accessible over the internet through your ISP ( Only your ISP knows for sure )
3) A way to interface with the DVR through the internet. ( DDNS )

1) The DVR must be accessible from outside the firewall.

You go from telling us how you configured Port Forwarding to
What am I missing?
without telling us what you see.

The router is configured like this:

WAN port ( internet connection ) > FIREWALL > LAN ports
( It's more complicated than this, I'm just showing you what you need to see )

You should be able to ping your DVR from a computer on another LAN port of the router.

You should not be able to ping your DVR from a computer on the WAN port of the router with Port Forwarding shut off.

You should be able to ping your DVR from a computer on the WAN port of the router with Port Forwarding or DMZ enabled.

When you are able to ping your DVR from a computer on the WAN port of the router with Port Forwarding or DMZ enabled, you should be able to see the DVR webpage from the Internet side of the firewall.

If nothing happens, turn the firewall off on the router and see where that gets you.

When you get to this point, you have accomplished your first goal. I see no point in working on the second and third goal before you reach the first goal.

Linksys forum: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php

Ponce

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 03:08:18 PM »
Thanks a lot for the tips.
Finally I can log into the camera server using a browser from a computer outside of my home network.  But the video can’t be seen.  I tried in 2 different residential computers; I  log into the server with no problem…When I click on display it asks to download the active-x and after downloading the video never shows up.  I reboot the camera but nothing happened.
Also, I connected my laptop out of my network and the same happened…no video.  However, when the laptop is connected to the network there is no problem.
Note: I am port forwarding

Any ideas to solve this?

Ponce

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 04:57:58 PM »
Great info.
I see several IP’s… I just pick one?
How do I make the active x control to look for this port?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 05:21:36 PM by Ponce »

Tube Tech

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 05:49:35 PM »
Active X: my DVR tries to load Active X on every computer that visits it, every time.

IP addresses: are you using static IP or DHCP? With static IPs you don't have to guess which one to pick, it's fixed.

Is the manual for this beast on line? If so, provide a link.

The problem is between the external network connection and your system. We don't know what's in between so we can't guess what the problem is. We don't know ihow your net connects to the external net.

Can you:
traceroute from where you are testing outside your network to your DVR
traceroute from your DVR to where you are testing outside your network
try a different external network - public library?

Are you using Sam Spade? http://preview.samspade.org/ssw/download.html Way better than monkeying about with CMD. Free.