Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

57 Guests, 2 Users
roughneck3,
lawren52

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Adding sensors to an ADT-monitored system  (Read 5097 times)

NJ-Ham

• View Profile
Adding sensors to an ADT-monitored system
« on: February 06, 2007, 07:55:51 PM »
Hi all,

We're currently under a monitoring and service contract with ADT, but I was wondering if it's possible to add devices that aren't supplied by ADT. I'd like to add a pet-immune motion, another wireless motion, a CO detector and a second keypad in the master bedroom -- but the prices they're quoting me are pretty insane.

I believe the system is a VISTA 20P.

The two supposedly-pet-friendly wireless motions (IR, I think) we have now are mostly OK, but have falsed twice because of our four rambunctios cats charging through the house at 5am when we're away from home on vacation. Another false alarm and we lose police response for 1 year and could face a court summons. The two techs ADT sent out were useless.

Any thoughts?

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Re: Adding sensors to an ADT-monitored system
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 03:22:23 AM »
if you're under a contract with Another Determined Theft (aka, ADT), you may be prohibited from making changes to the system, depending on the terms of the contract.  look it over carefully, very carefully, and read the fine fine fine print.

don't be surprised if it states that you can't make these kind of changes.

Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

mjohnsonn

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 05:03:38 AM »
I'm certainly no fan of ADT and I think you should DIY, but there is a slightly different viewpoint to consider. To better undrestand why big companies sometimes act the way they do:

Imagine you were running a company and you had thousands of installations where you were charging a set fee.  You calculated just what it costs on average to go out and fix things.  You figured just what you can charge to go against competitors.  You have it all worked out...maybe.  Then all your customers started making adjustments in the field. People who ask questions like "What kind of wire can I use?"   What might happen?

Axxs1

• Security Master
  • Society is all dollar$ and no $ense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 11:50:37 AM »
Well said.
I originally got into the alarm business because of ADT (Another Dumb Tech). They were starting a small install when I walked in to find the tech holding on to my ceiling fan trying to mount a glass break, only to pull the fan off and send it flying thru my 15' glass window :o. Needless to say I "Threw" them out thru same said window and decided to do it myself. This was years ago, and the horror stories continue.

On one hand--Thanks ADT, and the other---BOOOO!

There are a lot of reasons companies charge what they do, some are justified, some not ;)

If I recall with regards to ADT--You cannot add anything yourself, especially since they lock the installers code.

GTIMANiac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 05:25:07 AM »
My question would be is the equipment on lease or do you own it? I had a 20P (3000en) system installed last month. I own the equipment. I added some of my own devices mostly without incident.

Once I realized the devices were on loop 2 versus loop 1 it was a breeze to had 2 more PIRs, 5 smokes and 18 windows.

The master install code was the same.